Palace Amusement Company has closed its cinemas in Jamaica with immediate effect following the country’s designation as a “disaster area” Friday.
Palace, which operates several theatres on the island, in a statement said “In light of the COVID-19 and the issued by The Most Honourable Prime Minister Holness, we are taking all precautionary measures to ensure the safety of our valued patrons, our staff and the wider community.”
The company said it is following the Government’s decision to ban public gatherings to fight the novel coronavirus which has recorded eight confirmed cases in Jamaica, so far.
As a result of the measure, its Carib 5 and Palace Cineplex locations in St Andrew, Palace Mutiplex in Montego Bay and Sunshine Palace in Portmore will be closed.
“We urge all our patrons and team members to take the necessary steps and precautions and to remain safe at this time. We look forward to welcoming you back once we reopen.”
Jamaica was declared a disaster area by Prime Minister Andrew Holness during a media briefing at Jamaica House.
Following the declaration, the communities of Seven Miles and Eight Miles in Bull Bay, St Andrew, where the nation’s first confirmed coronavirus case resides, was quarantined.
Jamaica has recorded a total of eight cases of the virus on the island since the first was made public last Tuesday.