The government of Grenada yesterday announced that as of midnight on Tuesday, March 10, the country will be refusing entry to nationals from Italy, Iran, South Korea and Germany – four nations where hundreds have been positively diagnosed with the coronavirus – COVID-19.
This is in addition to persons from China – who faced restrictions last month.
According to Health Minister Nicholas Steele, Grenada has been quarantining non-nationals but from midnight it will be different. “From midnight we will be refuse entry,” he said while pointing out that the implication will be significant for the cruise ships industry.
“The threat becomes even greater now because evidently, not all countries are enforcing strict measures to protect their borders…”– Prime Minister Dr Keith Mitchell
In a national address last week, Prime Minister Dr Keith Mitchell said that intense discussions have been taking place among relevant stakeholders and Government has now made available an additional $2 million to bolster our COVID-19 preparedness actions.
“We will not spare any effort in ensuring that all the necessary measures are in place to protect our country and therefore, we stand prepared to increase that figure if it becomes necessary, as the situation unfolds. These are significant resources and we must demonstrate full accountability in all that we do,” he said in an address to the nation.
He also said that the time has clearly come for Grenada to move past the ban imposed on persons specifically coming from China because the disease is now present in more than 60 countries around the world.
“The threat becomes even greater now because evidently, not all countries are enforcing strict measures to protect their borders, therefore, we must continue to do all that is necessary to safeguard our country and our people,” he said.