CBR
search

Trinidad and Tobago confirms first Coronavirus case

Trinidad and Tobago confirmed its first case of the novel coronavirus today.

The confirmation came from Health Minister Ter­rance Deyals­ingh at a news conference, roughly two hours after he said there was no confirmed case on the island and that citizen’s should stop spreading ‘fake news’.

An aerial view of Port of Spain Trinidad and Tobago. (Photo: london.ac.uk)

Deyalsingh said the confirmation was given at 2:45PM from the Caribbean Public Health Agency.

The infected individual is a 52-year-old male who returned from Switzerland on Monday. The patient, who is said to have a “mild case”, had been in self-isolation and made contact with health authorities yesterday, March 11.

Trinidad and Tobago is the latest Caribbean territory to have a case of the novel coronavirus following similar confirmations this week by Jamaica, Guyana, St Vincent and the Grenadines and Cuba.